Wednesday, 22 January 2014

Building Your Wardrobe: The Essentials

So once you have your basics down pat, the next thing you want to think about are your wardrobe essentials. These are the items that really create your outfit and add character to it. What I think is essential may be completely different to what you think is essential, so always remember that you can alter these ideas to suit your own style. Here are some examples of how I'd style my wardrobe essentials and why I think they're essential.




Jeans:
I am yet to meet someone who doesn't agree that jeans are an absolute must for your wardrobe. Before going into experimenting with colours and styles, I would make sure that I have a pair of black and blue skinny jeans. They are staple pieces in your wardrobe and you'll find that you can't live without them. If you were to splurge on any item of clothing at all, it would be black/blue skinny jeans. You want quality not quantity when it comes to your essentials and jeans are something that you want to last.



Skater Skirts:
There are many different types of skirts available (maxi, peasant, pencil, wrap etc.), however, when building your wardrobe, I'd start of with a plain, simple skater skirt. They are quite versatile, can be worn in a casual or semi-formal way and are easy to accessorise.



Flannel:
Flannel is a great material and I love the plaid pattern. You could wear it with a pullover or over layers in colder weather, or you could just wear a flannel shirt on its own. Either way, it always looks good and is always comfortable.



Knitted Jumpers:
You can't go wrong with a good cable knit and knitted jumpers in general are an absolute essential for me in the winter. They can be worn as a pullover or just on their own.



Blazers:
Feeling under-dressed? Add a blazer to your outfit and it's instantly transformed into something more dressy. Think you're outfit is too simple? Throw on a blazer and it gives your outfit a classy look. Blazers are important to have for those kind of situations (which happen more often than not!).



Leather Jacket:
A leather jacket is great at adding a little edge to your outfit. I see it as a must-have item in your wardrobe. Real leather jacket can cost quite a lot of money, so faux leather can work just as well.



Denim Jacket:
A denim jacket is great for spicing up a simple outfit. There are so many different colours and styles to choose from. It is an item you can wear as part of an everyday outfit and can be worn all year round!



Little Black Dress:
Ah, the classic little black dress. I am still yet to find my perfect little black dress (since I'm so pedantic when it comes to buying clothes), however there have been many occasions when I'd have no idea what to wear and thought that a little black dress would really save me right now. Because it's so versatile and can be dressed up or down, it is a great item to have in your wardrobe!



So there you have your wardrobe essentials! I hope this post helps any of you who are currently building your wardrobe. Leave a comment and let me know what you think!

xoxo Tamara

4 comments:

  1. Love this! You put a lot of thought and effort into your posts and it shows! Great job :)
    xx Faith

    plainjanestory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad you like it. :D

      Delete
  2. Hi!
    Absolutely agree with everything that you've deemed 'wardrobe essentials'!
    Also, I really really really enjoyed this post. You really went all out and I genuinely appreciate your effort. :3

    xx
    jasmineglamez.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really appreciate it and am really glad that you like it. :D

      Delete